Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Kitchen Re-Do

This was the kitchen we were introduced to when we bought our home.


Before

It was just "redone" the owners told us, it just wasn't our style, that's probably a good way of saying it. We knew we would be making a lot of changes but wanted to spend very little money doing it. I have always dug the cafe look (even though I rarely drink a cup of coffee) - I love the warmth, so I went with it. I still love my kitchen. It's not perfect, but it works and it's warm and we didn't have to spend much money (as far as kitchen redo's go) to make it look nice. (Just a side note, the owners wanted the appliances so we did buy new ones...so that was a large expense we knew we would have.)





After


(Shannnan-these are the keys I bought from Allegan last time :))



Before

After

Before


After

We were able to move the refrigerator over to a different wall by having my father-in-law cut a hole in the wall (those are the technical terms, I'm certain :)) into a closet to set the fridge there. It saved so much room and made the kitchen look so much better. Bart & I also tiled the floor ourselves. It was alot of work but you save so much money if you can figure it out on your own. Besides that a little paint went a long way. I know not many people may be into black but I think it really made the kitchen look 100% better when we painted the cupboards black.

So, there is our transformation. It was fun to be able to redo so many things in our first home together. It was a lot of work, but it paid off in the end :)




Now go on over to The Shabby Chic Cottage to see more transformations!



14 comments:

  1. Are you kidding? Black is ALL the rage! I loved seeing the "before" shots. Wow! Love the keys, and I liked seeing this week's Flock verse on your chalkboard. :)

    ps- How on earth did I miss you tonight? As we were walking out I told Cory that I hadn't seen you at all and he said "She was right behind us." Alas, a wave was all we got. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful, I love the black cabinets. Sooooo much nicer than the before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love those black cabinets & the way the fridge is in the wall. that old kitchen needed a re-do for sure!

    i host a goodwill party every week, stop by and link up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It was really sad before, and no offense. It looks absolutely amazing now! Great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing transformation!! I really like the black cabinets but I think you should have concidered leaving leaving the flowery wallpaper or whatever that was on the cabinets :) Good Idea witht the hole in the wall for the fridge!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I used to have that exact border in my kitchen! Loved it!

    I host a "Room a month makeover" every Monday (Don't worry, you don't have to complete a room, a small change!) Stop by and link up!
    http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/09/room-month-is-back.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What was wrong with the "before"?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is AWESOME! Can you say DIY Diva?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks fabulous! I love that you painted your cabinets black! Big improvement!
    SMiles!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! And I think the black works PERFECTLY!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like it should be in a magazine!! You both should pat yourselves on the back. And you were smiling in the photo of wall paper scraping! If Shannan buys one more house full of wall paper.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE it! And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Make that pic of you and Bart your fb profile pic so I can laugh (kindly) when I see it! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete