Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Truth

We are going through a 12 week study at our church called The Truth Project. Ever heard of it? I had heard of it a few months ago when my friend/mentor told me about it. I was chomping at the bit to go through it when my hubby told me that he wanted to have the church go through it too. Funny how God work things like that out. Seriously, God has placed this in my lap at such perfect timing...like always. I have really been needing something to make me step out of the boat, to use my brain, to meet God more often, and to hear new and exciting things He wants to do and I feel like He is doing all of these things right now.

I'm not going to go into song and story telling you every detail of The Truth Project (TTP) right now, to be honest there is just too much. However, I want to share the main question behind TTP because I honestly feel it will rock your boat...which is a good thing. Here it goes:

"Do you really believe
that what you believe
is really real?"

Hmmm. Think about it. It takes some time to sink in. As a matter of fact, I'm still thinking about it and I've been doing TTP for 3 weeks now. Because, if I really believe that what I believe is really real, I'd probably live my life a little differently. I say I believe what I believe, but do I live it? Do you? I think it's a good challenge. I think it's something to ponder everyday and to try to live your life based on what you believe AND to find out what you really believe. To find the Truth. To read the Word and see what God really says. To know why Jesus was really here. It's challenging - but I like a good challenge. I like to learn. I like to know the truth, because the truth sets us free! And boy, it sure does feel good to be free.



6 comments:

  1. I've seen the truth project. there is some really great stuff in there. and yes!! it is good to be free! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I think if we took that fundamental question to heart; took it deeply to heart it would cause us to live our lives not a "little differently" but radically differently.

    While the Amish of our community are often times the fodder for jokes and poking fun at; the reality is for many of them they are holding firm to a truth they deeply believe in and it's obvious their lives reflect this. In a negative light, radical Muslim terrorist live the same way. You would have to fully believe that what you believe is really real in order to fly into a building killing yourself in the process.

    Sadly, I don't feel we as Christians (at least in North America) have much clue what it means to really have our lives influenced by our believes. We tend to resort to an easy beliefism and allow our lives to just slink by.

    Our actions are shaped by our beliefs and presently I'd say on the whole the N. American Church is failing to really live the live God is calling us to. Certainly there are positive, God-inspired pockets, but on the whole I think we're receiving a failing grade.

    I think it best to halt this diatribe of mine before I venture on offense (which I may have already done... if so I'm sorry, not my intent).

    Thanks Brooke for the space to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is awesome! I'm sure it will be a huge blessing to everyone going through it. you will have to let me know how it is going. great post brooke! - Nic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful. I think we all need to ask ourselves those questions every now and then. If we don't know why or what we believe...what kind of witness can we be with our lives?? Can't wait to hear more:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do we believe? The true test of our beliefs are proven by the ways we live them out. Who cares if we can spout out the right answers but not live them? I too am being challenged by this project.

    It is pushing us Christians to use our minds and crosscheck them with our actions and behaviors. Faith was never intended to be a substitution for intelligence! We owe it to ourselves, others, and God to do the hard work to "be transformed by the renewing of our minds!"

    Love you babe.

    -Bart

    ReplyDelete