Saturday, August 29, 2009

DIY Chalkboard

I promised a week ago that I would be trying my hand at the mini-chalkboards that I had found on Etsy. And well, I finally did it. I thought I'd share with you guys. It was super easy. So here are the steps...

Get a piece of wood. I got mine from my Father-In-Law. I was trying to be as cheap as I could possibly be...and free (used) wood worked just fine for my first try.

Just an FYI - you'll want to sand your wood before you start. I didn't sand well enough on the sides where the the saw cuts were, but now I know for next time.

Get yourself some chalkboard paint. I have big plans for this little guy :)

And paint just one side. You don't have to be perfect with your painting unless you are a perfectionist....then go to town and make those straight lines.

Now, I forgot to document the next step which was to get some scrapbook paper. Whatever you like will do. I found some I had lying around and used that. I cut it to size then mod podged it to death onto the non-chalkboard sides of the wood. Yep, easy! And who doesn't like to use a little mod podge?!

Here's the back of my little chalkboard, cute ay?


And the front. Now go and try one for yourself.

I'm posting this DIY {chalkboard} project on:

Today's Creative Blog

and




So go on over and check out the other fun projects too!

8 comments:

  1. Sweet & Simple. Great work! I think I'll mention this craft to our MOPS creativity leader! We've used many of those same items already and it looks like it could be done in a reasonable amount of time! Thanks for sharing Brooke.

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blogs Brooke

    Shóna x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so cute!! You should post this on DIY Thursday (I think it's Thursday??)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy from Kansas,
    Cute idea!
    Glad to see what you are sharing on MM.
    Blessings,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! And Shona-so glad you read! I hope you are doing well. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My birthday is February 7th, just so you know.

    ReplyDelete