Friday, February 12, 2010

LOVE

Well it's the week of love. I love everything about Valentine's day. Maybe because I never really celebrated a V-day with anybody else but my hubby, it somehow makes the day even more special. Which makes me want to share my love story with my hubby -- only I have no idea how to condense it into a short version. I'm going to try, but please just stick with me.


The hottie hubby (HH) and I met in high school. I had moved into a new high school my junior year and he happened to be in my class. I do not remember meeting him the first time. He says our first encounter was not that great, but really, I have no idea. He says he ask me if I was a freshman apparently. You know how that feels when you are a junior. I think I was probably embarrassed and didn't know what to say (or I wanted to rip his head off ;)) so I didn't say much. But my friends, this is where the story begins....

My senior year in high school I remember a couple things about HH.
1. He was super cute.
2. I had a major crush on him...and a couple other people to be honest, but he was one of them.
3. He had the best 6-pack abs I had ever seen (and I have no idea how I ever saw them, maybe track?)
4. He was a Christian and an overall really good guy.

After that we were off to college. We talked once and awhile but mainly because we were friends. Then my summer in between my junior and senior year in college I was out tornado chasing when one of the guys on my trip told me he knew HH too. I don't even have a clue how we started talking about him but we did -- and then we ended up calling HH from Kansas. When I talked to him he shocked me by telling me he too would be working at the summer camp I had been working at for 3 years. I was so excited (maybe b/c I was going to get to see his abs every day at the pool, but if so, that would only be a small reason ;)) and he seemed to be too.


Anyways, we started working together and suddenly we were best friends. We were with each other after work almost everyday, I went to bible study with him, and more than anything I grew so much in my relationship with Christ that summer. One night we sat down and talked. He told me that night that he was supposed to be on a mission trip that summer but God called him home. He said he had really wanted to go but the more he prayed the more he knew he was to come home - he knew there was a friend there that God wanted him to spend time with. (At the time, I had no idea I was this friend -- and neither did he. He was just telling me how he ended up at home). And so from there the summer went on. I spent the entire summer with him. I would say by the end of the summer we were "dating" but we never really said it to anyone else.

By the end of the summer I knew this-- I was in love. No matter how slow we were moving in the dating world - I was in love. I knew I would marry this boy. I knew I had to, I had never met a guy as amazing as him and I knew I never would again.

Anyways, back to school we went. HH and I both went to big schools across the state from each other so we rarely saw each other and within a few weeks he called things off between us. He was just way to busy with school, being a youth pastor, and all the activities he had in Campus Crusade...and that was the truth. His time had to be elsewhere and it just wasn't good timing for us.

To say I did not understand was an understatement. I was heart broken. But we remained friends - best friends really.

I struggled off and on for a good year with thinking that even if I wasn't dating this boy that I was going to marry him but I didn't know how it would all work together. Finally one November evening I remember giving the whole thing up. I remember praying that God would just refocus my thoughts and that He would take it all. I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I was moving on...

Two weeks later I saw HH and the roles were completely reversed. He was pursuing me I could tell. (Does that sound funny? Like some weird dating book? haha) I just kept turning the whole thing over to God until one day I knew, in a different way than before, I was going to marry this boy! I remember telling my friends/mentors that I thought I was going to marry him and they got huge smiles on their faces but said no more. (Later I found out HH had already told them the same thing about me.)
And that's where it all re-began. We started dating not long after that - got engaged 5 months later - and married 3 months after that. It was all a whirlwind but a beautiful and perfect whirlwind at that. I married the man God made just for me and I am forever thankful.

And that's how we became "us."

Happy Valentine's Day!!! Hope you all get to spend it with someone you love :)

Now go over and read the other love stories at Wonder Woman Wannabe--and why not write your own too!

10 comments:

  1. THE SWEETEST!!!!!! Y'all are SOOOOOOOO cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a sweet love story! Cute, cute, cute pics of you guys. Happy Valentine's Day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it!! Before I met my hubby, I expected my story to be closer to yours - having to 'wait it out' a bit more. Glad you got your 'happily ever after'! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics of you both! :) and great story.
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    Beth

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. From tornado chasing to a whirlwind of your very own... :)

    I loved reading this, even though I pretty much already knew it all. :) I am so thankful that we both hold so tightly to our stories. It's important,you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a great story, really. God is so good isn't He? Happy Love week!
    Hugs,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a sweet story. It's great to take time to remember how you fell in love, it helps you stay in love. God blessed me with an amzing man 7 years ago and I don't take enough time to think about those things. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the HH name you gave your hubby. One day, I hope to meet my very own HH. Applications currently accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a GREAT love story!!! Seriously! I loved it. Loved how you were together, then apart, and then back together again FOREVER all in God's perfect timing and how you had remained best friends throughout. That is special! ps. I love my banner, it hands proudly in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were meant to be great photos of u an HH

    my blog is about where you want to be everything beachy take a peek...

    have a great day suzanne btw love jason mraz also

    ReplyDelete