Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Beautiful

Did I tell you guys I went to the Beth Moore simulcast for her new book So Long Insecurity, a couple of weekends ago?

Well, I did, and it was great! Seriously, I love Beth Moore anyways but this simulcast was so powerful. I will admit I have not read the book yet (I hope to sometime soon, but ya'll know how the book reading has been going around here) but honestly just hearing her speak was so powerful I don't know if I need to.

You know for years now, probably 7 years to be exact, God has really been working in my heart on the subject of beauty and what I find beautiful (and what He finds beautiful). I, along with probably almost every other female I know, struggle with insecurity. I often put myself down for not being skinny enough, not looking just right, not being a good enough mom, for saying what I really think, and for well, a whole wheelbarrow load of other things. I can look at every woman around me and find all of the amazing qualities in them but lack to find them in myself. But like I said, God has been working in my heart for awhile.

I have seen where my idea and perception of beauty has changed over the years and I am so thankful for that. I still at times struggle - but each day I get a little bit better at taking the focus away from myself and turning it on Jesus - because really, that's what insecurity steals from us. Insecurity is selfish. It only see's itself. It doesn't remind you that God made you just the way he wanted you. It doesn't remind you that you are questioning God's authority and judgement when he created you. It only reminds you of yourself and how you'll never be _____ (insert: skinny, pretty, smart, etc.) enough.

And, you know what, this life isn't about me and honestly, who am I to question God why He made me the way I am?

Now, that doesn't mean I can't try to be a better version of myself but it does mean that I accept that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. It means that I try to find God's purpose in my life each day. And it means that the focus is off of ME and on GOD.

So anyways, I went to the simulcast and I was reminded of the many things I have been learning of the past 7 years. I left feeling refreshed and ready to take another step in the way the Lord is directing me and to encourage my friends that they too are BEAUTIFUL...

because each of you are beautiful and it's time to let go of the insecurities and time to embrace who you are!


...and sometimes you're just weird, but whateva ;)

13 comments:

  1. For what it is worth, when you were sharing in class on Sunday, I was looking at you and thinking, clear as day, "I love her".

    I'm so glad I have you in my life. You are beeyoutiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And, you know what, this life isn't about me and honestly, who am I to question God why He made me the way I am?"

    Might I suggest that it's not wrong to question God on any number of things; including the way he made you [me]. Questioning I think is part of the process of God working in us to teach us, and if we don't sometimes question, we can fail to learn. It's too bad that somewhere along the line the Church (I assume) said it was wrong or maybe even sinful to question God. I tend to believe that even in our deepest anguish of life our questioning is pleasing to God, for even then we are striving to connect with God. Don't fear asking the question, fear rejecting the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You live near flower patch farm girl!?!! =) he he!! too fun!!

    I really really want to get that book! God is moving in me ... stirring me... tossing me into soul searching lately... (blogging has really opened some doors I did not expect to open!) =) Thanks for sharing that little ditty about Beth Moore! I wanted to go ~ but hubs was away ~ besides I want to read the book anyhow!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love Beth Moore. I've read a little over half the book and then got busy and haven't finished it. But it was really good and I had some big revelations too. He would be so proud of you for letting go of your insecurities. Oh and BTW...you really ARE beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan - I agree completely...and maybe the way I phrased that was wrong. I do think it's good to question God too b/c he can give you the answers you are searching for. I guess I was more so meaning that God made me perfectly. He knew what He was doing and I should do my best to embrace who He made me to be without always fighting it.

    Thanks for pointing that out though. I agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. Absolutely Beautiful. And from what I can tell, that Beauty is INSIDE and OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gift to see yourself as God sees you - you ARE an inside-out beauty my lovely bloggy buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a special, insightful reflection. You have some many gifts friend. You certainly are beautiful inside and out, futher more, you are able to see the beauty in others....a true gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Couple things....
    It is looking so DARN CUTE around here! Love the new do ;D

    I may have to check that one out. I think we all struggle to be content with who we are and how we look. I would like to just feel comfortable in my own skin!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30

    Lucky for me God decided to give me the Trifecta!

    You are more beautiful to me than you know :)

    -Bart

    ReplyDelete
  11. This should be a mandatory class for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post, Brooke! Hope you and your family are doing well. If you ever want to come to Chicago and need a place to stay we have plenty of room for your whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post!!
    I think it's so important to just own who you are!!!!!

    ReplyDelete