Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mark.

Are you wondering if I'm going to tell you a story about an old boyfriend of mine because of the title of my blog? Well I'm not...well maybe. My very first boyfriend's name was Mark, it's true, and all he liked me for was the countless hours (probably more like minutes) I spent on the phone with him. Apparently I carry a good phone conversation. I'm sure I was very interesting when I was in 3rd grade. Something like, "I am going to do the babysitting club camp this weekend" or "I had peanut butter and jelly for lunch. What did you have? Will you sit by me at lunch tomorrow." Awesome conversation I tell ya. Anyways, that's not the Mark I want to talk about, he was anything but interesting.

Here's the point at hand. At church our pastors (one of those pastors being my handsome hubby) have come up with a series called NT90. Basically, the entire church is reading the New Testament in 90 days. I must say, it's a brilliant idea and I have been inspired by how many are actually investing their lives in the readings. That being said, we have been reading in the gospel Mark recently. Monday evening I came across something very interesting and to be honest, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

Mark 14:51-52 reads (and just for a reference of time and place, this is when Judas betrays Jesus in Gethsemane and the disciples are fleeing) "A young man was following along. All he had on was a bedsheet. Some of the men grabbed him but he got away, running off naked, leaving them holding the sheet."

I don't know why this verse struck me so. I found it interesting that I had never noticed it before. But then I think I learned something important. You see, I had just read the gospel John the week earlier and now I was reading Mark. Mark spoke to me. And maybe, just maybe, another reason all of the gospel accounts are in the bible is because there are people who can read one over the others and just "get it." John, I would say, is more like my husband. He's very detailed in particular stories. He didn't forget a thing it seems like. But then there's Mark. His story is short and sweet. More like, here are the facts, this is what happened and this is how I remember it. And maybe I'm a little more like Mark (which is actually more likely to be Peter's prespective...I know, confusing in some sense). I think if I would have been there on that horrific day that Judas turned Jesus in I would have been the one who remembered that "A young man was following along. All he had on was a bedsheet. Some of the men grabbed him but he got away, running off naked, leaving them holding the sheet." It's random but in it's own way it's detailed. I watch my surroundings, I like to know what is going on and I like that I can identify with Mark in this way.

With all that being said, I challenge you to read all of the gospel accounts. See how they are different, see how they are the same. Just as each individual is different so are the gospel accounts. And believe me you will learn something from each of them. I'm so happy I am taking this opportunity to invest my time in something so important. Another way to know my Lord and King a little better.

3 comments:

  1. Girl, I love this! You are so right. I too have been struck by so many "randoms" that I've run across while following NT90. I sometimes think, "Why did he feel the need to add this?" Such a mystery... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this post!! I also loved seeing you this past weekend! Have a beautiful week!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may be more like John than say Mark but I can assure you one thing, if bedsheetless man ran off naked I certainly would have recorded it! lol!

    -Bart

    ReplyDelete